Walmart has reintroduced its $6.99 “basket fee” for grocery delivery and pickup orders under $35 — including for customers enrolled in its Walmart+ Assist programme, which serves people receiving government aid through SNAP, WIC, Medicaid, and similar benefits.
The fee had been waived during the pandemic for those on assistance as part of broader efforts to improve access to groceries during a period of heightened financial strain. However, the waiver ended in late April.
Some reports have linked the return of the fee to recent cost-cutting measures in response to economic uncertainty driven by new tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The Daily Mail claimed that the retailer attributed the rollback in part to rising costs triggered by the tariff environment. But the retailer has publicly denied that connection.
Speaking to Mashable, Walmart clarified that the basket fee decision is unrelated to tariffs, adding that minimum order fees are a common practice across the industry. Target, for example, enforces similar thresholds for free pickup or delivery.
Still, tariffs remain a live concern. During an April 9 investor meeting, Walmart President and CEO Doug McMillon said the company was still evaluating the implications of the latest trade measures. “We’re still working through what [the new tariff environment] means for us,” McMillon said, noting that while two-thirds of Walmart’s US sales are sourced domestically, the company relies heavily on imports from China and Mexico.
McMillon acknowledged that Walmart had dealt with similar challenges during Trump’s first term. “It’s a management opportunity, and that’s the way that I think about it,” he said.
“We’re going to focus on what we can control. We’re going to do our best to keep prices as low as we can. Inventory management is always important, but it becomes even more important in this environment.”
The broader impact of the tariffs is already being felt across sectors. The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) recently warned of potential 20% to 30% price hikes on electronics, including an average $287 increase for desktops, $111 for monitors, and $428 for gaming consoles, should importers fully pass on the additional costs.
Smaller businesses are already seeing the effects. New York-based hardware supplier Adafruit posted an import bill totalling over $36,000 this week, calling the latest trade rules “very real” in a post on Bluesky.
Meanwhile, Walmart has been tightening its belt across other areas of the business.
In February, the company laid off hundreds of employees at one of its North Carolina offices, as it continues adjusting to a more challenging cost environment.
Click here to sign up to Retail Gazette‘s free daily email newsletter


